Adding closed captions to your video components makes your content both more accessible and engaging for your audiences.
This article covers adding a caption file to a video component in a Page and gives an overview of the learner experience viewing video captions.
Things to Note:
- A caption file can be added for each language Locale enabled on your account (English, Spanish, German, etc.).
- The Intellum platform requires the WebVTT (Web Video Text Tracks) format (.vtt) for all caption files. You can find tools, converters, and services on the web to assist you in creating a .vtt file - if needed.
Learn more about Locales:
Locales | Supported Languages
Add a Caption File
Follow these steps to add captions to your video components:
- Add a video component to a page.
- Select the video component on the page.
- Click the CC icon in the video's formatting options.
- Click Choose File to select the caption file to be uploaded.
- Use the drop-down menu to define the Language of the caption file.
- Click Save.
Follow the same steps to upload a .vtt file for each Locale you support.
The Add Captions... page will reflect any caption files that have been added for the video - by language. Use the trashcan icon to remove a captions file.
Captions | Learner Experience
Captions are immediately available to learners when added to a video component. Adding captions to your video files gives your learners options when it comes to engaging with the content in your videos - and ensures that your content is accessible to learners regardless of ability, environment, or preferred language.
Learners can turn on captions - and, if available, select their preferred language for captions, through the CC icon available in the video controls - as seen below: