There are circumstances where two or more activities are similar enough that they should share a completion status, regardless of which activity was completed. For example, activities offered in multiple languages, an new version of an activity a learner has already completed, or activities differentiated for your learning audiences (e.g. staff training and client training). Sometimes it makes sense to share a completion across learning activities.
In these instances, it makes sense to have activities be equivalent to each other, meaning if a learner completes one equivalent activity, then they will be shown as completing any other equivalent activity.
Defining the Parent Activity
Defining equivalent courses is an easy process. The first step is to identify a "parent" activity - all other equivalent activities will be defined as "child" activities to this parent. In the Equivalence section on the Activity Properties page, check the Parent Activity box:
Defining Child Activities
Now that the Parent is defined, any other activity you wish to be equivalent to the Parent can be defined as a Child activity to the Parent. To do so, in the same section on the Activity Properties page, click the Edit icon and choose an available Parent activity:
Linking to Equivalent Activities across Locales
You can easily point learners to their version of an equivalent activity across Locales by appending any activity URL or enrollment URL you share with
?use_locale=true. This lets you share one activity URL with your learners that links individual learners to the equivalent version within their Locale.
FOLLOWING UP ON EQUIVALENCIES
Although defining equivalent activities is an easy process, please note the following:
- A Parent activity can have one or more Children
- A Child activity may only have one Parent activity
- A Child activity may not be a Parent activity (i.e., have Children of its own)
- A Parent activity cannot also be a Child activity (i.e., linked to other Parent activities)
- Activity types (including scheduled activities) can be linked in the following ways:
- Post, Links, Files, and Assessment can be linked as equivalent to any one of the other activity types (i.e. Post to Link, File to Post)
- Pages, Paths, and Collections can only be linked as equivalent to the same activity type (i.e. Page to Page, Path to Path)
- If an admin unchecks the Parent activity checkbox, all Child activity linkages to that Parent are removed
Impact on other Activity Properties
Let's consider three activities: A, B and C, where A is the Parent and B & C are the Children. If a learner completes activity A, then the following will be applied to activities B and C:
Prerequisites: Any activity that has B or C as a prerequisite will be unlocked
Path/Collection activity status: All Path/Collection learning path rules will be respected and applied
However, no enrollments, credit units, Level XP, or awards are given for activities B and C, and no letter triggers are sent, no group assignments are made, and nothing will show in History, either.
Once a learner is enrolled in either activity B or C and completes it, all normal enrollment-based properties will apply (e.g., awards will be earned, letter triggers sent, etc.).
When a learner views an equivalent activity in the Catalog, they'll see a gray checkmark in the upper left corner of the card if another equivalent activity has been completed. When accessing the Activity page, they'll see a message in the progress banner at the top stating when they've passed the equivalent activity.